Friday, April 4, 2008

Newstrust

Our class is taking on a project of contributing articles on the global economy to the community of Newstrust.net. I've had a chance to browse the site a couple times now and I'm overall pleased with what they offer.

Although personally I probably would not on my own take time to rate every article I read on the site, I think the idea of it is promising. I do think that if I came across an article that I think was particularly terrible, or particulalry well written and well reported, I would take the time to say something about it, otherwise I would probably use it as more of a homepage, somewhere to get a variety of sources commenting on topics that I care about.

As a hopeful future journalists I'm glad that newstrust honors the things that really matter in an article: accuracy, sources, structure, and fairness. It's important that the web doesn't serve as a place to simply rant about topics or pass things off as facts, because that would ruin the business and point of good journalism.

A selfish reason for appreciating newstrust is the fact that I usually only check the Washington Post website on a daily basis. Newstrust can give me a convenient place to check other publications that may have better stories, more information, or just a different perspective. I appreciate that you can also divide stories posted into different types of publications. So if I'm in a mood for a longer more in-depth article I can find the magazine section and click on an article from Slate magazine or Newsweek.

No comments: