Monday, January 28, 2008

Raise Your Hand If You Hate Hillary


Ok so you probably think I'm about to bash Hillary Clinton. I'm not. I'm not her biggest fan but my views are definitely irrelevant to the topic. I want to talk about what seems to be the strange phenomenon of the love/hate Hillary relationship. Never have I seen anyone so loved and then on the other extreme so hated by people. Hillary's supporters would probably walk out in front of a bus for her, and her opposition would gladly push her in front of one.

My sister seems to fall in the later category and I sentimentally thought of her when I saw this sign on facebook on the bumper sticker application. Anyone but Hillary seems to be a battle cry that a large population loudly shout. It's unfortunately a topic that can bring Democrats and Republicans together, at a time when red states and blue states seem to define the country. It begs the question of how Hillary is going to overcome her Achilles heel, that population that will literary vote for anyone but her.

As much as my feminist side might want to cry "sexism!" I don't think it's the case. I don't think that Hillary being a woman is what makes those who hate her hate her. I think it's a different quality, that X factor as they say. Most haters of Hillary claim to hate her because of an overall feeling of sleaziness, that they would hate just as much in a man.

Anyone But Hillary has a following, and a website that sells merchandise with catchy phrases such as "Life Takes Visa, Hillary Takes Cash." One t-shirt has pictures of all the other candidates with checked boxes next to them, surrounding the "Anyone But Hillary" campaign slogan. I find this strong opposition bewildering, and also very amusing. But more than anything I wonder how Hillary hopes to overcome this. Though the thought makes me cringe, if she does beat Obama in the Democratic campaign because of support from those who love her, how does she plan to combat whoever the Republican nomination is, since he will be someone besides Hillary? It seems to me that the country will finally pull together and muster up enough votes to keep her out of the white house.

Anyway heres an entertaining video from my new favorite "fake" southerners that I feel expresses the views of all too many Americans.

1 comment:

Dan Kennedy said...

Sometimes I think I'm the only person on the planet who's indifferent to Hillary Clinton. I like her better than some, less than others.